Many people don’t realize how important the gums are to the appearance of their smile. Some patients have excessive amounts of gum tissue covering their teeth, resulting in a “gummy smile”.
What are the reasons for a gummy smile?
- The muscles around the lips are stronger than usual and hyperactive. This can pull the lips up high when you smile showing more gums
- The upper Jaw bone is longer and bigger than normal
- The upper lip can be disproportionate in size and reveal too much gum
- The teeth have naturally erupted further downwards, or the teeth have worn down over time, both of which will cause more gum to show
- There is naturally too much gum that has grown over the tooth, and there is a lot of tooth still hiding underneath the gums.
what Treatment Options are available for a gummy smile?
The options are varied depending on the reason for the gummy smile, and some people have multiple factors that are involved in this.
- Orthodontic treatment with Braces and Pin Surgery to lift up the smile
- Gingivectomy or Gum Reshaping to remove excess gum
- Jaw surgery to reduce the amount of upper jaw bone showing
- Facial Injections to reduce the hyperactivity of the muscles of the lips
- Cosmetic treatment such as Veneers to increase length of worn down teeth.